<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Love. Create. Celebrate. : 8. Learn a New Sport

Saturday, January 5, 2013

8. Learn a New Sport

If I only have a year to complete all of my goals from this list, I better start trying now!

I really wanted to start a sport this year that would help keeping me active during the long winter months. Six months is too long to stay inside! Winter here is much different than winter in Ontario. For one thing, it starts in OCTOBER! haha. Then snow actually stays on the ground for 5 or 6 months here, and it gets significantly colder (I'm talking -30 range). The great thing, is that there is a plethora of sunlight during the days (unlike Ontario's bland, grey winters that appear to stretch on-and-on).

My history of breaking wrists, specifically on the right hand side, left me too scared to try to get better at snowboarding, downhill skiing, etc. I thought maybe cross country skiing would be a little safer.

So I tried cross country skiing today! I took a 2 hour less. It was great :) I fell a few times, didn't quite master a few techniques, and still feel have a substantial fear of going down hills. But it was still great!

Here are some things I know for sure:
- cross country skiing is hard work
- my legs will be sore tomorrow
- I have a serious fear of falling and breaking my wrist again
- I need more practice
- I have serious balance issues (i.e. significant difficulties balancing on one foot!)
- the cross country skiing environment in Grande Prairie is very friendly
- I had fun today

My gear. 

View from the steps of the lodge. 

Me post-ski. 

Lots of learning left to do! This was a good start though. After I did the lesson, I even stayed to do a quick 1km stretch on my own. Although I walked down the big hill without skiis.... (*fear*). I'll keep working on this one :) 

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At January 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Satvika Viktarini said...

Cool, I'm curious how skiing feels like. Nice photos too, thanks for sharing.
______
My Blog: Windows Plus Door

 
At January 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Lisa T said...

Looks like a beautiful place to go skiing!

 
At January 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay looks like so much fun, wish I could play too!
ps - cute mitts
Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home