<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Love. Create. Celebrate. : Gardening Week: First Vegetable Garden

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Gardening Week: First Vegetable Garden

My life has been consumed by gardening and gardening-related tasks. 
I have spent several days and evenings this week learning how to plant, seed, and weed. 
In follow-up to my post the last week "Summer Chores" I thought I'd do a week worth of posts about my gardening adventures. I've been LOVING being outdoors every day, taking in the sunshine. I'm even beginning to get a tan! Although I still look pale next to Mr. A who tans in no time at all :( 

Anyway, this post is about starting up our vegetable garden! 
We planted the potatoes and the onions first. 
And by "we" I mean me, my husband, and my very knowledgable mother-in-law! 
Here are some pics of the process: 

Mr. A rototilling the garden again... there were still some dirt chunks. 

Digging holes for the potatoes. They had to be spaced far apart because apparently we grow quite a few potatoes from each spud! 

Then we drench the holes with water so the soil in full of moisture.
Apparently if we water first, we don't have to water again until the potatoes start to come up - who knew!
And I'm sure it works... because last year mom grew a heck of a lot of potatoes!

The puppies were very helpful throughout the whole process! 

And here is our masterpiece! 
Four rows of holes full of water and potatoes; just need to fill them up and press 'em down and we're done :)  At least until they start to come up and the hilling process begins...

And here are the Trenches that we made for the onions. Two large rows filled with water. The onions were planted much closer together. Apparently that's fine... so says my gardening expert, lol. 

And here I am in my gardening attire ready to brave the sun for a whole day :) 

{grow}

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 22, 2013 at 5:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like fun! You and Russ will have tons of veges with that and the farm share too :)

 
At May 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Lindi said...

I know!! We'll get some from the farm all summer long, and then starting in the fall we'll have the veggies we've grown for the rest of the year. Mom's still finishing off her potatoes and onions from last year!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home