<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.lovecreatecelebrate.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Love. Create. Celebrate. : Belly Touching Etiquette

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Belly Touching Etiquette

So I'm over 34 weeks now and sporting a very noticeable baby bump. 
I'm waaay past the stage where you look at someone and wonder "Are they pregnant, or just a bit fatter?". 
Clearly pregnant. 


Apparently, along with a bulging baby belly comes an invitation reading, "Everyone feel here!!". 
{I'm picturing a sign with lights and arrows... )
Where did this come from??
Why do people consider a baby belly an open invitation??

I had an experience this week in which two people -acquaintances really- came up to me, hands spread wide, and began rubbing my belly. Not touching. Rubbing
I'm speaking for myself, but also somewhat on behalf of the pregnant women who have shared this experience with me!
Surprise belly rubs are unwanted!
(please correct me if you feel otherwise - we're all different!)
I have yet to meet someone who says, "I just loved when random strangers came up and rubbed my belly!"
Smiles at our bellies - we like those!
Compliments on our pregnant glow - we like those!
Surprise touches and rubs just don't feel as nice... 

To avoid any awkwardness in the future, let's just make some ground rules shall we: 
1. Ask first. Don't assume mama wants you to rub her belly.I truly don't mind if you ask!
2. The closer you are to the mama, the more acceptable it is to ask. Family? close friends? Sure, ask and see. Strangers? Grocery store cashiers? Random grandma? Think before you ask... (most people are too polite to say no, even if it makes them uncomfortable!).
3. There is a difference between a touch and a rub. Personally, I'm comfortable with almost anyone touching my belly (after they ask of course), just not the rub... But some women aren't comfortable with a touch either, and well... it's their belly so we have to respect that.

I am certainly not saying that everyone does this. Far from really!
AND obviously there are some exceptions that are allowed free reign on my belly:
1) My husband - because well, he helped make it
2) My mom - because well, she made me, and
3) A few select best friends (they know who they are) - because I will do it to them too :)

Let's all develop some belly touching etiquette and be gracious to our pregnant mama friends! 

{xoxo}

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I 100% agree with you! The weirdest thing I had was when a woman I don't know at all (it was at a playgroup with B) asked me, "Can I rub your belly for good luck?" and proceeded to do so before I had a chance to answer. A bit weird... what am I, a magic Buddha statue, haha..
btw, you look lovely!

 
At December 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol too funny! You are glowing, and for the record I think I would ask you...but even if you said no I would do it anyway :)
Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home